A huge range of modern technologies, from GPS to radio-telescopes, rely on the transmission of high-precision time and frequency signals. Over long transmission distances, these signals pick up disturbances that reduce their precision, and so reduce the capabilities of the technologies that depend on them. By developing tools and techniques to overcome this signal degradation, my research will support and enable the next generation of high-precision scientific and industrial instrumentation.
In particular, my research focuses on the application of these technologies to the Square Kilometre Array (SKA) and Atomic Clock Ensemble in Space (ACES) projects. This work will enable the SKA to disseminate frequency references to each of the hundreds of SKA antenna sites at a far lower cost than the standard approach of installing an atomic clock at each antenna site, which would be necessary if suitable signal stabilization technologies cannot be developed. My research will also allow signals generated by atomic clocks at UWA to be transmitted to the Western Australia Space Centre, where they will be compared to atomic clocks on the International Space Station, enabling an improvement in the fundamental and applied science objectives of ACES.
My UWA research profile is available here. You can also read about my research on Science Network WA, or listen to me talking about my work on 3-Minute Thesis, ABC Radio National, and The Naked Scientists.
- Gozzard, D. R., Schediwy, S. W. & Grainge, K. (in preparation). Simultaneous transfer of stabilized optical and microwave frequencies over fiber.
- Gozzard, D. R., Schediwy, S. W., Wallace, B., Gamatham, R. & Grainge, K. (submitted). Stabilized modulated photonic signal transfer over 186 km of aerial fiber.
- Gozzard, D. R., Schediwy, S. W., Whitaker, R. & Grainge, K. (submitted). Simple stabilized radio-frequency transfer with optical phase actuation.
- Gozzard, D. R., Schediwy, S. W., Dodson, R., Rioja, M., Hill, M., Lennon, B., McFee, J., Mirtschin, P., Stevens, J. & Grainge, K. (2017). Astronomical verification of a stabilized frequency reference transfer system for the Square Kilometre Array. The Astronomical Journal, 154(1), doi: 10.3847/1538-3881/aa6db1
- Gozzard, D. R., Schediwy, S. W., Wallace, B., Gamatham, R. & Grainge, K. (2017). Characterization of optical frequency transfer over 154 km of aerial fiber. Optics Letters, 42(11), 2197-2200. doi: 10.1364/OL.42.002197
- Schediwy, S. W., Gozzard, D. R., Stobie, S. Malan, J. A. & Grainge, K. (2017). Stabilized microwave-frequency transfer using optical phase sensing and actuation. Optics Letters, 42(9), 1648-1651. doi: 10.1364/OL.38.001648
- Grainge, K., Alachkar, B., Amy, S. et al. (2017). Square Kilometre Array: the radio telescope of the XXII century. Astron. Rep. 61(4), 288-296. doi: 10.1134/S1063772917040059
- Gozzard, D. & Schediwy, S. (2015). Stabilized frequency transfer for the Square Kilometre Array. Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia, 98(2), 143.
- Schediwy, S. W., Gozzard, D. Baldwin, K. G. H. Orr, B. J. Warrington, R. B. Aben, G. & Luiten, A. N. (2013). High-precision optical-frequency dissemination on branching optical-fiber networks. Optics Letters, 38(15), 2893-2896. doi: 10.1364/OL.38.002893
- Gozzard, D. R., (2016). Notes on calculating the relationship between coherence loss and Allan deviation, Memo, SKA-TEL-SADT-0000619, Square Kilometre Array Organization.
- Gozzard, D. R. & Schediwy, S. W., (2016). STFR.FRQ.UWA astronomical verification, Tech. Rep. SKATEL-SADT-0000524, Square Kilometre Array Organization.
- Schediwy, S. W. & Gozzard, D. R., (2015). UWA South African SKA site long-haul overhead fibre field trial report, Tech. Rep. SKA-TEL-SADT-0000109, Square Kilometre Array Organization.
Invited talks and colloquia
- Stabilized frequency transfer for the SKA – CSIRO Australia Telescope National Facility colloquium, Marsfield (Feb 2017)